Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Wedding Traditions

Something old, something new 
Something borrowed, something blue 
And a silver sixpence in her shoe. 

Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy. "Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past. "Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead. "Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. And finally, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security. (definition via here)

Finally, I have all my items together!


Something Old
I'll be taking part of my mom's dress (the lace part) and wrapping it around the base of my flowers in my bouquet. I think it'll be a nice touch and something special to add to my day since wearing her dress wouldn't be an option, I'm excited a part of it will be with me.

Something New
I have lots of 'new things', but I think my dress will count for this! I wish I could show you a photo, but I know some people read this who might share with the wrong person and/or Mr. Groom himself could be reading!

Something Borrowed
I'll be borrowing my dear friend and bridesmaid, Britney's earrings that she wore on her wedding day! They match great and will be just as beautiful on my day as they were on hers. Can't wait to wear them!

Something Blue
My shoes will account for this! I've got a rocking pair of Badgley Mischka's that I'll be wearing. I blogged about my decision and I think I decided on the right ones. I need to start breaking them in so I can rock them all night long! I spent more than I wanted to, however, I know it was worth it!

Sixpence in my Shoe
My sister-in-law and one of my Maid of Honors got me my Sixpence for my shoe and gave it to me at our Engagement Party. I'm unsure of how this bad boy will attach to my shoe, but none-the-less it'll be on there!

Did you partake in these traditions? If so, what did you use!?


post signature

1 comment:

Britt said...

I love that the earrings work! Can't wait to see them with your beautiful dress:)

Post a Comment